Sunday, September 21, 2014

Another Week In Peru

Hola Familia,

Sorry for not writing yesterday I was in Lima getting my ID. I found out that I was going the night before so it was impossible to let you know. It was fun though; I was able to visit with a bunch of my friends from the CCM again. We got in at about 11 pm and went to go and get dinner at pizza hut ha ha. Then we went to a hotel for the night. We woke up, were in lines for 5 hours or so, and then went back to Arequipa. I saw some Elders from the CCM and told them to tell Elder Bell hi (Elder Bell's Blog). So hopefully that works out. It was a nice trip but missing P-day is awful. I still get to write today which is nice. 

My week was awesome. On Tuesday all the new Gringos serving in Arequipa right now went to a lunch at the mission home with the President and his wife. It was so fun and they are awesome. The lunch was great. He is a great mission president. He is a little more laid back on the rules. It is really up to each missionary to choose if he/she wants to be a good missionary or not. He does not watch your every move. There is a lot of agency and I like that a lot. If you want to be good you will be. Someone is not making you do something that you don’t want.

This week we have been focusing on working with less active members of our ward. We rescued two people. One is named Camilo he is about 65 and hasn’t come to church for a while. We have been teaching him and he had an interview with the bishop and is planning on attending the temple in a year. The other is named Rolando he was a very inactive member but he is struggling to come and be a good member. One day we went with the ward and build stairs in Huascache. Rolando came with us, it was some hard work but it helped him. Just doing a little service can help a ton. He is going to have an interview and hopefully he will attend the temple in a year also. He has a great family and just needed some help.

My talk went pretty good and hopefully the ward understood my message I was trying to get across ha ha. 

Funny story:
On Thursday we had a mission night and we were showing a video. The only video we had was about 9/11 and the church welfare program. We started the video and since it started a hour and a half late we had to go to our room and just left them watching a video about 9/11. Hopefully the members were able to help the night go better. 

Earthquakes:
This week we had two of them. One was on the mission night and was pretty strong. And the other was during the night about 4:30 am and just lasted a little while. It is honestly a natural thing now. I have felt a ton of them and it is nothing too scary now. ha ha 

We lost two of our investigators and it was very sad. That is the worst when Satan works so hard to stop people progressing in the gospel. It breaks my heat that is for sure. Satan has a ton of influence and people just need to really work hard to come to church and be saved.

Spanish WOW it is incredibly hard. Some days are easier than others for sure. I have heard that it takes around 6 months to be able to understand everything that is being said and a few more months to speak Spanish really good. I love the language but I just need to keep working on it.

My companion goes home this week and so for the next 6 weeks of my training I will be with a new companion. So by next week I will have a new companion, wish me luck. Hopefully I get an awesome one. 

I love you all and thank you all so much for the support.

I love you all,
Elder Cooley

In the picture I was carrying Alf Alfa I think. I don’t really know it was something from the fields though. It was quite heavy and she was carrying it up all the stairs by herself when I stopped to help.

Questions:

1. How is your relationship with the church members going? Are they working with you guys better?
My relationship with the church members is going good. There are a couple awesome families. They are doing a little better with working with us I guess ha ha.

2. What is your favorite scripture this week?
Favorite scripture was Alma 13. The entire chapter was just amazing. Also D&C 90:24 is good. 

3. Have you shown anybody the pictures you took from home yet?
I have showed my pictures a ton to almost everybody ha ha they are great.

4. Have you read any more talks or heard any more songs that you would recommend?
I have not ha ha I don’t have that privilege anymore, which stinks.

5. How are you doing?
I am doing great just loving the mission every single day so much.

6. Do you know your apartment address so I can locate it on a map?
I do not know my address.  I will get that to you next week it is on Avenue Brasila in Hunter by a restaurant.

7. Are you flossing your teeth twice a day to prevent cavities?
I am flossing at least twice a day honestly ha ha. I brush my teeth a ton also.

8. What types of fruit are you buying off the streets? Have you tried any Peruvian type fruits?
Bananas, mandarins and a fruit called pepino, which is like a mini cantaloupe. (Solanum Muricatum = Pepino)










No comments:

Post a Comment